Oct 21, 2003

Random thoughts
I've been getting more connected with the young adults fellowship at PBC lately. Went to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art with some people on Friday, hung around for lunch on Sunday, and had dinner with a YAF couple this evening (they cooked).

It's been about a month into this internship thing, and I'm still trying to find the discipline to study without excessive procrastination. Classes are interesting, I'm learning to read scripture in a more careful, studied, manner. The pastor teaching the current series on Genesis had a good observation, about being careful to try to read everything that comes out of the text, rather than trying to read too much into it. This one is tough, I often find myself seeing themes that are emphasised, wondering to myself whether I am seeing what is truthfully there, or whether I'm reading too much into it.

It's very difficult to come to scripture as a student seeking to learn. Too often we're encumbered by preconceptions of what we think it's supposed to say. Every once in a while, I check out Boundless Webzine. It's interesting to see that on their current poll, their readership is about 71% Republican/conservative, 7% Democrat/liberal, and 24% which are neither (makes me wonder about their math skills). They've occasionally got a good article, but the majority are opinionated and, in my opinion, more socially conservative than biblically Christian. It's funny how they're called "Boundless", yet their articles are titled "Has Chief Justice Moore Gone Too Far?" or "Did Madonna Go Far Enough?". I wouldn't trust their interpretations of Scripture, yet at the same time as I study I wonder if my liberal perspective is tainting the way I'm reading the text as it was intended.

I went surfing on Saturday, I pretty much sucked and was unable to really catch any waves at all over the first three hours I was there. In the end I was able to get up on my board after catching the white water on some broken waves. I'm sure it's probably considered cheating or not real surfing or something along those lines. I need to get more practice.

No comments: