Jun 12, 2008

Callow Wisdom

I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.
Let's make some music, make some money, find some models for wives.
I'll move to Paris, shoot some heroin, and fuck with the stars.
You man the island and the cocaine and the elegant cars.

This is our decision, to live fast and die young.
We've got the vision, now let's have some fun.
Yeah, it's overwhelming, but what else can we do,
Get jobs in offices, and wake up for the morning commute?

-MGMT

Lyrics from a song click when they seem to parallel some personal experience or feelings - good music draws out some internal emotion right?

It occurred to me that often, because of this, we may associate with lyrics, to somehow buttress the way we're feeling - "Hey, I'm not the only one who feels this way". Perhaps even stronger, we may look to our society's bards to give us some tidbit of wisdom, to reveal some gnosis to the rest of us unartsy (and less inebriated) commoners.

Maybe this made sense back in the day when we were in high school or college, when we were the primary consumers of pop music, when artists were far ahead to have a few more years of experience to guide us with. But when you get to this side of 24, you realize maybe all these kids writing the music don't really know what they're talking about.

Albeit, I'm still tired of the job in the office and waking up for the 10am commute.

To be honest, I'm totally misrepresenting the song by just quoting half of it, there's a certain irony to the latter half. I'm definitely digging the psychadelic retroness of this band though.

No comments: