Jul 20, 2008

Reading.

The test of our work is not the profit gained from it or the status we receive from it but its effects on creation. Are persons impoverished? Is the land diminished? Is society defrauded? Is the world less or more because of my work? We have become so accustomed to evaluating work in terms of productivity that we have little sense of its meaning in terms of creativity. We have for so long asked the questions of efficiency and profit that it does not even occur to us to ask the question of virtue. But Adam Smith is not canonical and Psalm 82 is.

-"Where Your Treasure Is", Eugene Peterson.

I've been doing a bit of reading lately, which I think is a good thing. I finished Peter Enns' "Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament" last month, and I thought it was an excellent book, and much more honest in terms of dealing with problems of Biblical interpretation than I tend to see in most Christian books.

Recently I've been trying to finish Eugene Peterson's book, which I was supposed to have read for my intern class a few years ago. It's one of those less honest books, that reads a lot out of a few lines of scripture. But at the same time, it's really quite encouraging, and I think he makes valid points.

No comments: