Sep 20, 2008

Chinatown

Everyone kept telling me that Chinatown in Amsterdam was right beside the Red Light district. Obviously, I haven't spent enough time in the RL, since I haven't found the chinatown till today, when I made a concerted effort to locate it.
IMG_1421
It was surprisingly, pretty much smack dab in the center of the old city, and despite being mixed in with Thai, Indonesian, and Sushi restaurants, had a few passable chinese BBQ restaurants as well as a surprisingly well stocked supermarket, meaning that I now have chinese cooking wine, soy sauce, fried dace and korean aloe drink.
As a constant reminder of my inadequacy with language here in Europe, people in Chinatown seemed to be able to speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Indonesian (?), English and Dutch. At least I learned how to say 'alsjeblieft', I'll call that a moral victory.

No comments: